Tuesday 13 April 2010

I’ve broken VS2010 already

So today VS 2010 was released (ok if you’re going to be picky it was released yesterday at 7pm BST) and this morning I eagerly downloaded and installed it and then got the rest of my team to do it as well.

I grabbed a .Net 2.0 project and opened it up in the new IDE, completed the conversion wizard which went smoothly and then tried to build the project and it failed. What?! I just built this in VS2005 and had no problems so what’s going on?

Well it turns out that a previous developer had referenced a .Net 3.5 assembly (System.Web.Extensions if you really want to know) and VS 2005 didn’t complain but VS 2010 would not allow that reference since I was targeting the .Net 2.0 framework.

To say I was disappointed was an understatement.

I know what you’re thinking – just change the target framework to .Net 3.5 or even better .Net 4.0 and everything will be fine.  Well I can’t go to .Net 4 since its not rolled out yet and since its been working up to now in .Net 2.0 what I really want is to be able to use the new IDE without a lot of deployment bother.  But in the spirit of ‘this software isn’t going to beat me’ I did try and change the target framework to .Net 3.5 and what happened? Nothing.  By which I mean it didn’t run.  It compiled happily but when you ran it (Asp.Net web forms) the browser appeared but the Application_OnStart was never reached and if I put any break points in the code they came up with ‘will never be hit as symbols have not been loaded’.

So I’ve posted on Stack Overflow and will continue to try and sort it tomorrow, if anybody has any ideas please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment